Monday, March 9, 2009

volunteering

This means to give something of oneself to the benefit of another. Within this concept, we can give our time and effort to help others or for society (public goods and services). Within the boundaries of a church, to volunteer means helping in church activities, some of which help other individuals. At FAPC, the latter includes (but not limited to) a twelve-bed men-only homeless shelter, helping these folks get back on their feet and a meals program (similar to meal on wheels). I've volunteered in two of these services because something tells me to do so, not planning or thinking about when agreeing to help out. It's weird that I give my time for this having been cataloged as a selfish asshole much too often. Then again I also volunteer for my local and union.