Thursday, May 27, 2010

drugs, nirvana & God

A good friend of mine during Bible study mentioned that a person can feel God in a state of self peace or level of meditation. To this I mentioned the word "nirvana" that perhaps fits the concept better. Then I mentioned that some drugs cause a similar effect of relaxation (during the high, not the after-effect). I immediately asked her if being high (like an acid trip) was a good way to get closer to God. Her response was a weird facial expression on disbelief and surprise. I just laughed and quickly explained that I was playing with her.

Joking aside, I do have that theory that many people do drugs to find a connection with God (heaven, nirvana, peace, etc) -- while escaping from material (earthy) realities. Now I'm not saying that one has to take drugs like LSD to "ascend" to heaven, but meditation and being one with creation (like Lectio Divina) is one of several ways to feel God's presence and love.