Tuesday, October 19, 2010

growing old(er)

Being 39 is surely a weird experience. Then again I'd never been 39 before. I've got gray hair for the past several years -- hence no real big deal. This morning I was looking carefully at the loosening soft tissues (skin and muscle tone) on my face. One thing always in my mind is my health. I've got some medical conditions (a defective brain, a bad valve in the heart, weight, etc), some which are the result of years of physical abuse.

I've got several obligations -- especially taking care of my three boys.

My oldest boy's turning 19 next week. He's at the age where he's got a girlfriend, could work and have his own money, be sexually active (not yet due to his strong Roman Catholic upbringing) and even have children. The way I see it selfishly is that I don't want to be a grandfather yet.

My second child (9) has been sick most (if not all) of his life. He's definitely the most difficult challenge involving doctors, therapies and even a special diet.

My third child (2) is simply a walking accident waiting-to-happen. His only issue's been his Italian temper.