Friday, October 1, 2010

rants: my medications

For the past four years, I've taken Lamictal (anti-psychotic, bipolar disorder), Prozac (antidepressant) and Adderall (stimulant to control attention deficit disorder). For the past two years, I've also taken medication for high blood pressure triggered by Adderall. It's somewhat of an expensive cocktail from hell to control my emotions and lack of concentration.

The biggest problem with Adderall is the Patriot Act, which made it a highly controlled substance. This means waiting for at least a week for my prescription to be ready and at times having no medicine days or weeks at a time. Taking a highly "controlled substance" makes me feel like a junkie in need for a fix. After all, I do need Adderall as a medicine.

Now the biggest two problems or side effects with the rest of the medicine are increased appetite and extreme fatigue (all day long drowsiness, fatigue; http://project05952381.blogspot.com/2010/10/rants-dozing-off.html). The side effect of Adderall are helping me stay awake and cut down my appetite. Surprisingly enough the side effects from these medicines cancel out the side effects of one another.