Wednesday, November 17, 2010

my resentment to or rejection of Catholicism

As I've stated many times, I was uncomfortable as a Catholic. I didn't understand many of its concepts like saints (as a semi-divine entity), the Virgin Mary (as a divine entity), the Pope (authority of God on earth), reciting the same impersonal prayers (the Lord's Prayer not included in this list) and confession of sins to a priest (middle-man between humans and God). At the same time, I saw lots of corruption in the Catholic Church like priests charging for their services -- Last Rites, First Communion, Confirmation and other (Catholic) sacraments.

Now that I go to a Protestant church and have learned Jesus only gave us two sacraments (Baptism & The Lord's Supper). I wonder where the Catholic Church got seven sacraments? That's five more sacraments.

  • Baptism
  • Eucharist (Lord's Supper)
  • Reconciliation (confession)
  • Confirmation (confirmation of faith)
  • Marriage
  • Holy Orders (ordination of priests)
  • Anointing of the Sick (Last Rites)

See http://www.americancatholic.org/features/sacraments/default.asp for more detailed information.

Further more, I see lots of discrepancies in the doctrine compared to what Christianity originally was.

After almost four decades on this earth, I finally feel comfortable expressing and living my faith -- in a Protestant church, no less. I can say that I'm a Christian feeling that I can dare call myself so. I've studied the Bible and have no trouble to question my beliefs and understanding of the Scriptures -- a behavior that's not encouraged in Catholicism.

The only problem (if ever) is that my oldest son's completely Catholic. He believes in saints, the Virgin Mary (as a divine entity) and impersonal prayers.

Then again, I can be wrong in all this. Maybe Catholicism's the true expression of Christianity, but I can't believe corruption and secondary beliefs (saints, etc) are part of the core of what our belief should be. At the end of the day, I'd still go to a Protestant (Presbyterian) church where I feel at home and can feel that I'm a Christian and not part of a stupid charade.

In all, let's see what God's got to tell us when he comes to separate the sheep from the goats (http://project05952381.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-if-god-came-to-visit.html).