Sunday, January 2, 2011

new year's bloody sham of a day

A friend of mine (Princess) wrote what she thought new years was while growing up.

"When I was a kid I thought New Years was something magical because I was always put to bed and unable to celebrate with the adults. I thought the sky would turn purple or something. Turns out I was dead wrong!!! Nothing magical happens but a new year does begin at least."

My response wasn't so charming and perhaps naive, but rather too annoyingly cynical.

"There's nothing magical about fireworks, people getting drunk or people's Pagan rites like the twelve (12) grapes at midnight (superstitions) -- simply pathetic. The only interesting (cool) thing was seeing the streets plagued in fire. That's what new years was about when I was a kid. Now it's only getting another year, another month, another day closer to one's death! It's so bloody depressing and stupid. Then again me dying remains a cool idea. Don't you think?"

The last part of my comment -- making fun of my own death -- might not be the Christian thing to do. It might actually scare people off and/or at least give others the wrong idea. Nonetheless it's fun to laugh at one's self and not care what others think.