Wednesday, August 4, 2010

me, an organ donor

When I went to the DMV (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/) to get a state identification card, I signed up as an organ donor. I even received in the mail a letter from the DOH (http://www.health.state.ny.us/) thanking me for my decision.

What's the big deal? After all, once I die, I won't need my body. It can be butchered for spare parts (any good organs that can be recycled). What remains of my body should then be cremated (870-980°C or 1598-1796°F to destroy all tissue). At that point, my ashes could be thrown into the wind or used to pollute the sea -- whatever my oldest child decides.

I understand that some religious beliefs don't accept this practice, but this is a decision that I made decades ago -- perhaps when I was a little kid. My religious beliefs have never affected this decision and I wouldn't want any religious beliefs to influence this decision.

At the end of the day, we're dust from dust and someone could use some of my dust. At least at that point, I'd have been useful for something other than my selfish will.