Monday, November 15, 2010

denominational & non-denominational: mea culpa

As I've pointed out in my previous post (as a form of disclaimer),

the following's merely the result of my observation on human behavior and religious belief systems -- most importantly my behavior and religious belief system (my faith in God).

http://project05952381.blogspot.com/2010/11/denominational-non-denominational.html

Considering the structure of churches and their service, I prefer to be in a controlled, organized and fixed environment where I fully understand what's going on during the service. Hence I prefer a denominational church -- a Presbyterian church, Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, which I had never thought I'd consider going beyond the mere curiosity.

As a child, I went to one of two Catholic churches in my neighborhood as these services were supposed to be identical. When I moved back to NYC, I started going to St Patrick's Cathedral, but I quit shortly after. As much as mass was strictly organized, it was a boring experience and unfulfilling -- to me at least.

Some thirteen years later, I shopped for a new church and found the current church I go to every Sunday -- FAPC. This same church sometimes mid-week alternative services with music, Scripture readings and several quick sermons. I even understand and enjoy since these service maintain a specific certain order even when at times running longer than planned.

I've heard of and gone to services on other churches that don't seem to have a clear organization. I couldn't survive in such scenario.