Sunday, May 30, 2010

trying to raise my boys as Christians

I'm trying to do something that my parents never really did for me. They had or seemed to have little to no religious tendency or desire when I was growing up. Surprisingly enough, I was taken to church to do my First Communion -- perhaps as a real desire for me to be Catholic or simply as a cultural activity and/or a norm reinforced by society.

My father used to meet with Jehovah's Witnesses (http://www.watchtower.org/). As a small child (under six years of age), I remember seeing magazines like Awake and The Watchtower around our home. Through out all this time (several years after hippies, flower power and what's now referred to as "new age"), he started reading Tarot and even had a crystal ball (acts and practices that can be considered witchcraft or simply unholy) to exploit what would be considered extrasensory perception (ESP; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrasensory_perception). Nonetheless he was still calling himself a Christian. During his third marriage (about four years after separating from my mother), he started going to some Protestant church. I can't believe that he really feels what he's doing. I still are it as a cheap charade.

My mother was more distanced or simply apathetic about religion. About 15 years ago, she started following Sai Baba (http://www.sathyasai.org/). From her point of view, she's still a Christian although going to Hindu temple/group at least once a week.

In all this mix, my maternal grandmother (http://project05952381.blogspot.com/2010/05/remembering-my-grandmother.html) taught me the little I knew and understood of being Catholic.

I feel like I've told this story thousands of times.

As I wanted to point out, I want to raise my boys as Christians. At least there has been no problem in the case of my first-born. His mother was raised as a hardcore Catholic going to Church almost every Sunday (if not always). Now my younger two have been a true test, but I hope I'm getting there. Then again, I don't have the real religious background to teach them.

My over all knowledge of Christianity and faiths is basically based on what I've read and studied the Bible and other religious texts. My practice is still fairly limited (textbook knowledge vs wisdom from practice).

Since I mentioned ESP when criticizing my father, I also have some level of ESP. I can feel good and evil, trust and lack of. Once about two decades ago, a priest asked me if I believed in witchcraft, to which I said I did (and still do). He only asked never to practice it. Maybe he knew my father or could feel how strange I could be at times. In all some might call it a gut feeling. Then again I might simply have a very smart gut.

Now how can an unholy be a Christian after all and teach his young about the Trinity of God?