Wednesday, January 19, 2011

my son's first ever seizure, maybe just fever

On Monday night (well actually early in the morning, about 2:30pm), parts of my nine-year-old son's upper body kept contracting while he was sleeping as slight muscle reflexes or spasms. His body temperature was fairly high (fever), but he wasn't sweating. It could've merely been an allergic reaction to eating some Italian bread made from wheat (mere wishful thinking) or to some bug that he could've caught in the hospital (http://project05952381.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-sons-first-ever-seizure-day-of-eeg.html). In either case, I'm worried and close to falling into another rut of depression.

To avoid further surprises, I had my son stay home for the past two days (not that he'd put a fight for missing school). Yesterday morning, he was in bed doing nothing (much too odd for such a hyperactive child), with the TV on but rather just looking out the window. This latter behavior's similar to what he experienced right after his first seizure (http://project05952381.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-sons-first-ever-seizure.html). I just can't tell if he suffered another seizure, due to my lack of experience in this field, but I truly hope not. Last night, he still had a fever, but it'd dissipated considerably by early this morning.

My youngest child (2) started with a similar reaction (fever) last night. Maybe my boys did catch some bug with a 48-hour incubation period somewhere.

Needless to say (type), I've just gone through two more sleepless nights and hence running on pure adrenaline for the past two days. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. Of course, I can't afford to die leaving my children behind. Life's a bitch and I've got no choice but to deal with it.